Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) is the UK’s longest running rent deposit scheme. We provide award- winning, government-approved deposit protection as well as impartial adjudication for disputes relating to the deposits we hold. We offer both insured and custodial schemes.
What is a Rent Deposit Scheme?
A rent deposit scheme, also known as a tenancy deposit scheme or deposit protection scheme, is a scheme that protects deposits for assured shorthold tenancies. Assured shorthold tenancies (AST) is the most common type of tenancy if you rent from a private landlord.
Why Do I Need to Protect My Deposit?
Under the terms of the Housing Act 2004, landlords or letting agents must protect tenancy deposits in a government-approved rent deposit scheme, like ours.
Letting agents and landlords must protect tenancy deposits within 30 days of receiving the deposit.
If there is a disagreement over how the deposit is divided at the end of the tenancy, the rent deposit scheme will provide dispute resolution to resolve the issue.
What is TDS?
Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) is government-approved rent deposit scheme. We are also the longest running scheme in the UK.
Why Should I Use TDS?
At TDS, we pride ourselves on providing outstanding service for our members and customers. Our calls and emails are answered faster than any other deposit scheme in England and Wales.
We are the only not-for-profit scheme in England and Wales and we invest our surpluses in continuing to improve our already multi-award-winning service. Our awards include:
- Customer Service Excellence Accreditation (held since 2011)
- BSI Customer Management Standard (held since 2014)
- Chartered Institute of Housing 2015 -Chairman’s Award.
- Shortlisted in the Supplier of the Year category in the Negotiator Awards 2017 and 2018.
- Shortlisted in the National Landlord Investment Show (LIS) Awards 2018 in the Best Property Education Provider category.
We offer both an insured and custodial scheme.
With TDS Insured, you keep the deposit during the tenancy, but pay a small fee to protect it. You handle the repayment at the end of the tenancy. We offer a free dispute resolution service if the repayment amount cannot be agreed with the tenant. Benefits include:
- Longest running scheme in the UK
- Cheapest pay-as-you-go insured protection scheme in England and Wales*
- You keep your deposit
- Simple and easy to use
With TDS Custodial, we hold the deposit during the tenancy and handle the repayment at the end of the tenancy. We provide a free dispute resolution service if the repayment amount cannot be agreed with the tenant. Benefits include:
- Free to use
- We hold the deposit and administer the repayment
- Hassle-free way to protect deposits
How to join TDS
Joining TDS is simple:
- Choose between our insured or custodial scheme
- Create a free TDS account
- Register your deposit(s)
- Pay a small fee (insured) or transfer the deposit to us for free (custodial)