Landlord Information & FAQs

  • Overview for landlords
  • FAQs | Protecting deposits
  • FAQs | Join TDS
  • FAQs | Disputes
  • FAQs | Complaints

About the Tenancy Deposit Scheme

The Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) is a multi-award winning provider of tenancy deposit protection, protecting over 1 million deposits in England and Wales.

Click on the left to find the answers to some of our most Frequently Asked Questions about protecting deposits, raising disputes, and joining the scheme.You can also find a wealth of information about TDS across this website, and beyond. 

Click here to read our selection of Guides for Landlords

Click here to read our library of dispute case studies

Click here to visit the TDS YouTube channel

Protecting tenancy deposits FAQs

What is tenancy deposit protection?

Deposits on assured shorthold tenancies (AST's) must be protected with a government approved scheme. Under the Housing Act 2004 the landlord or agent must protect the deposit and issue prescribed information to the tenant within 30 days of receiving it.

If there is disagreement over how the deposit is divided at the end of the tenancy, a dispute can be raised with the scheme and an impartial adjudicator will decide how the deposit should be divided based on the evidence provided.

What is the Tenancy Deposit Scheme?

Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) is a government approved tenancy deposit protection scheme in England and Wales operated by The Dispute Service Ltd. The Dispute Service is an industry owned, not for profit company.

What is a "tenancy deposit"?

A tenancy deposit is a sum of money which a landlord requires a tenant to pay at the start of the tenancy or which the landlord holds over from a previous tenancy with the same tenant. The money is security in case the tenant does not meet their obligations in connection with the tenancy.

Which deposits need to be protected?

All deposits taken by landlords in relation to assured shorthold tenancies (ASTs) in England and Wales must be protected. This includes 'pet' deposits and 'garage' deposits, but does not include holding deposits. (See more about these types of deposits below)

What is prescribed information?

You must provide the tenant with specific details of the deposit protection and a leaflet explaining how TDS works. This is called prescribed information. It must be issued within 30 days of receiving the deposit.

Click here for a prescribed information template and scheme leaflet.

What do I do when a tenancy has ended?

We will send you an email reminder when the fixed term tenancy ends. When the tenancy ends without a dispute you must login to your TDS account and end protection of the deposit. 

Download the website user guide for instructions on ending a tenancy.

My tenancy has renewed. Do I need to protect the deposit again?

You do not need to protect the deposit again if:

  • The tenancy continues on a periodic basis on exactly the same terms.

You do need to protect the deposit again if:

  • You enter into a new fixed term tenancy agreement
  • The tenancy continues on a periodic basis with material changes to the agreement, such as tenants, deposit amount, landlord or property address.

It is a requirement of TDS for Landlords Rules of Membership that you protect the deposit again in the circumstances listed above. Unless you notify us otherwise we will assume the tenancy is continuing as a statutory periodic tenancy on exactly the same terms and continue protection on this basis.

What constitutes a 'material change'?

A "material change" is important to the obligations of the agreement. This could be a new tenancy agreement, a change of tenant/s or a change to the value of the tenancy deposit.

Do holding deposits need to be protected?

No. A holding deposit is not a tenancy deposit for the purposes of section 212 of the Housing Act 2004 and does not need to be protected. 

Do 'pet deposits' need to be protected?

Yes, if it is being paid to a landlord for the purpose of ensuring that the house is properly cleaned at the end of the tenancy, and with a view to returning it to the tenant if the house is clean, then it is a deposit that needs to be protected. "Pet deposits" are a form of tenancy deposit within the definition contained in section 212(8) of the 2004 Housing Act. 

Do 'garage deposits' need to be protected?

Yes, if it is being paid to a landlord for the purpose of ensuring that the garage is properly maintained, and with a view to returning the deposit to the tenant if it is in good order, then it is a deposit that needs to be protected. "Garage deposits" are also a form of tenancy deposit within the definition contained in section 212(8) of the 2004 Housing Act. 

How should deposits paid in instalments be protected?

TDS members should protect the deposit, even if it's paid to them in instalments. You should protect the deposit on the basis of the total amount of the deposit you expect to receive for the tenancy over its life and ensure that the instalments are detailed in the tenancy agreement. If an instalment isn't paid and this will affect the sum registered, please contact us so we can adjust the certificate.

What if the deposit is paid on the tenant's behalf?

The person paying the deposit on the tenant's behalf will be considered a “relevant person”. This is a person, company or organisation who, in accordance with arrangements made with the tenant, paid the deposit on behalf of the tenant e.g. a local authority, employer, parent or guarantor. This relationship does not need to be entered on to the TDS tenancy database, but the landlord will need to provide this person with prescribed information.

What happens to the interest on the deposit?

You should check your tenancy agreement as this will tell you what will happen to the interest. When a disputed deposit is paid to TDS, no interest is paid.

What does the Deregulation Act 2015 mean for tenancy deposit protection?

The Deregulation Act 2015 resolves and clarifies issues in the law following the Superstrike v Rodrigues and Charalambous v Ng court rulings. 

Click here to read our guidance on the Deregulation Act 2015.

I want to join TDS - FAQs

How do I join TDS for Landlords?

Click on the link below to join TDS for free. Once you have set up your account you can protect your tenancy deposits right away. 

Click here to set up your TDS for Landlords account.

If you are a member of the Residential Landlords Association you can join using our DepositGuard membership option. 

How much does deposit protection cost?

TDS for landlords works on a pay as you go basis, starting from £13.20 per deposit for the life of the tenancy agreement.

View the fees here

Members of the Residential Landlords Association and the LLAS receive lower rates by choosing our DepositGuard membership option. Visit for more details. 

How do I protect a deposit?

Firstly you need to create your free TDS for Landlords account. 

Protecting the deposit is an easy online process. In your account you simply need to enter the details of the tenancy, the tenants, and the deposit being protected, and pay a small deposit protection fee.

When you have created an account download this Website User Guide for detailed instructions on registering a deposit.

Who can join TDS for Landlords?

Any private landlord with tenancies in England and Wales can join TDS for Landlords. 

To protect a deposit with TDS for Landlords you must:

  • own the rented property to which the Deposit relates;
  • be named on the relevant AST agreement as the Landlord;
  • be protecting no more than £25,000 of deposits with TDS at one time;
  • if protecting as a company, it must be domiciled in the United Kingdom.

You must also agree to abide by the rules of the scheme and the rules of adjudication. 

What if I do not own the property?

It is extremely important that you only protect deposits for properties which you own. Members who protect deposits where they do not own the property or are not named as the landlord on the tenancy agreement risk termination of their membership.

I protect more than £25,000 of deposits, what do I do?

You can protect up to £25,000 of deposits using your TDS for Landlords account. To protect over this amount we will need to see evidence of ownership; please contact

I protect more than £100,000 of deposits, what do I do?

Because of the bespoke nature of your business, corporate landlords are individually priced in consultation with our insurers. You can join by completing the "application for individual terms" form. When we receive it, we will get back to you with a price within ten working days. TDS is the only not for profit scheme, reflected in the highly competitive prices we offer our members.

Download an application for membership on individual  terms

What are the initial requirements of TDS?

The law requires that you comply with the initial requirements of your tenancy deposit protection scheme. At TDS our initial requirements are:

- The Member must enter on the TDS tenancy database all the required details about a deposit if that deposit has not previously been protected.

- After the Member has entered all the required details relating to a deposit on the TDS tenancy database for the first time the Member does not need to do so again. This Scheme has no initial requirements for Renewed ASTs and/or Statutory Periodic Tenancies if all details about the deposit were entered on the TDS tenancy database at the start of a prior tenancy.

- Where an AST with a deposit began before 6 April 2007 and is replaced with a Renewed AST or a Statutory Periodic Tenancy after that date, the Member must meet the Scheme's initial requirements. The deposit is deemed to have been received at the start of the Renewed AST or Statutory Periodic Tenancy, the statutory time limit begins, and all required details of the Deposit must promptly be entered on the TDS tenancy database.

I have a dispute FAQs

What will happen if I ask TDS to resolve a deposit dispute?

If all the parties agree to TDS resolving the dispute, TDS will appoint an impartial adjudicator to make a legally binding decision, normally within 28 days of receiving the parties’ consent and evidence. If one of the parties does not reply to our notification, they are treated as consenting. In all these cases, the adjudicator will normally make a decision based on the evidence received within 28 days after the deadline for giving evidence.

The disputed amount must be paid to TDS to hold during the dispute resolution process, and any undisputed amount repaid to the tenant. When adjudication is complete, TDS will pay the money to the parties according to the decision of the adjudicator.

How do I start a dispute?

To start the dispute process you must complete a Dispute Application Form. The quickest and easiest way to do this in online. After you have raised a dispute the other party will be invited to respond, and be given 10 working days in which to do so. If you are unable to raise a dispute online, please call our customer contact centre for further guidance.

How do I respond to a dispute?

To respond to a dispute you must complete a Dispute Response Form. The quickest and easiest way to do this is online. Once you have been invited to give your response you have 10 working days in which to provide your evidence. If you are unable to respond to a dispute online, please call our customer contact centre for further guidance.

How long do I have to raise a dispute?

You must raise your dispute within 3 months from the lawful end of the tenancy. Disputes received after this time will be rejected unless there are very good reasons.

How much money can be disputed through TDS?

We can only award money up to the value of the the deposit registered. There is no minumum dispute amount required, however if it is a small amount the parties should consider whether it is enough to justify the effort of using the dispute process.

What evidence should I submit?

For detailed information read our guide 'How to present your case to the TDS adjudicator'.

The adjudicator works on the basis that the deposit is the tenant's money, and will only award money to landlords and agents if the evidence provided justifies that claim. 

Documentary evidence is usually essential to prove a case, such as: 

  • Tenancy agreement - this sets out the obligations of both parties and is essential for any case.
  • Check-in report and/or inventory - to show the property’s condition at the start of the tenancy
  • Check-out report - to show the condition of the property at the end of the tenancy - photographs or videos used in conjunction with an inventory to support the condition of items in the property.
  • Rent statement to show what the tenant paid, for what periods of time and what is owed (if anything) 
  • Estimates - to show the approximate cost of carrying out work/replacing things. The more detail, the better. 
  • Quotes - show the quoted cost of carrying out work or replacing things. 
  • Invoices - show the cost paid/to be paid for carrying out work/replacing things 
  • Receipts - show the cost that the landlord or agent has paid out

What evidence should I not submit?

Do not submit documents if they don't relate to the dispute. Adjudicators examine all of the evidence you send and if it is not relevant the process will take much longer than necessary.

Who will see the evidence I submit?

All documents you give to TDS in support of your claim will be made available for the parties to the dispute to see via our Online Evidence Portal.  It is your responsibility to make sure that you do not send us evidence which you do not want the other parties to the dispute to see.

Should I go to court rather than use TDS?

Either party may go to court if they prefer. We can only deal with their dispute if both tenant and landlord agree they want us to. However, if one of the parties does not reply to our notification, they are treated as consenting. Most people prefer to come to us because they feel it will be quicker, cheaper and less stressful. Like the courts, we are independent and authoritative. We can deal with proposed deductions from a deposit, but we cannot award compensation or consider other matters away from the deposit.

My dispute is not just about the deposit. Can TDS help?

No. TDS is not able to consider ‘set-offs’ or ‘counterclaims’ brought by either party. If there are other matters away from how the deposit is divided, we will not be able to form a judgment about these  and you should take independent legal advice on the best way to resolve them.

I have a complaint FAQs

I have a complaint about the service

In the first instance, does your complaint relate to the progress of a specific case before we have made an adjudication decision? If so, we will have sent you updates that show the name and contact details of the person responsible for progress. Please contact them first.
If your complaint does not relate to a specific case, please contact our Contact Centre on 0300 037 1000.

The Contact Centre will help with your question or escalate it to a TDS member of staff, who will contact you directly. If you remain unhappy, please send us your complaint within 28 calendar days of the problem arising. Please do this by email or letter using the address on our Contact Us By Post page. Putting your complaint in writing will help us understand it better and respond fully. Our email address for complaints is:

Click here for more details about the complaints procedure.

I have a complaint about an adjudication decision

We make our adjudication decisions after considering the evidence we receive in a careful and unbiased way. By referring the dispute to TDS you agree to be bound by the adjudicator’s decision. We are not able to reverse a decision made by an adjudicator because the disputed deposit will have been paid to the parties and we have no legal authority for retrieval or redistribution.

The complaints procedure allows us to consider any concerns you may have about the way TDS handled your dispute. We can only accept a complaint if:

- the adjudicator did not take into account evidence we received within the timescales stated in the Scheme Rules; or

- the adjudicator made an error in Law; or

- the adjudicator made an error in fact.

Click here for more details about  complaints procedures.

I have a complaint about my letting agent

TDS cannot resolve disputes between individual tenants, complaints about the conduct of letting agents, managing agents or landlords, or other disputes that are not about deductions from the deposit. 

If your dispute is with an agent that is a member of a professional body, you may wish to contact them.  

If your dispute is about an agent who is not a member of a professional body or if it is about a landlord, please ask for help from your local Citizens Advice Bureau, housing advice centre, law centre or other advice organisation.


RSS Feed Latest TDS News

#NewsStory: TDS ranked 63rd in Sunday Times’ 100 Best Not-For-Profit Organisations To Work For 2019

The Dispute Service (TDS), which operates the Tenancy Deposit Scheme, has been ranked among the Sunday Times’ 100 best not-for-profit organisations to work for in 2019.

21st February 2019