The Dispute Process 

We can only resolve disputes about deductions that a landlord or agent wants to take from a

deposit when a tenancy ends. The tenancy must be registered with the Tenancy Deposit Scheme.

We cannot resolve disputes between tenants,complaints about the conduct of letting agents, managing agents or landlords, or other disputes that are not about deductions from the deposit.

So if your dispute is about any of these things, you could use one of the following routes:

• Professional body: If your dispute is with an agent that is a member of a professional body, you may wish to contact them.The professional bodies include the Association of Residential Letting Agents

(ARLA), the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), the National Association of Estate Agents (NAEA), Safeagent (previously NALS), and the Property Ombudsman.

• Adviser: If your dispute is about an agent who is not a member of a professional body or if it is about a landlord, please ask for help from your local Citizens Advice Bureau, housing advice centre, law centre or other advice organisation.

• County Court: You could use the court to make a counterclaim against your landlord or if you think the landlord’s claim should be lower because of a failure by the landlord. You may want to speak to one of the above advisers first or contact a solicitor.

For more information click here.