Should my deposit be protected?

Deposits need to be protected on the standard type of tenancy with private landlords, called an ‘assured shorthold tenancy’.

Other types of tenancy do exist, so check the paperwork if you’re not sure. If you are a lodger (living with the landlord and renting a room) it is not an AST and the deposit doesn’t need to be protected.